Archive for November, 2013
November 1, 2013
Today I presented at the Texas Gulf Coast Association for Healthcare Quality on social media in healthcare. Slides are posted on my Slideshare. The video, Empathy: The Human Connection to Patient Care is below
Quality professionals in healthcare including risk management and patient safety are relatively new to social media. They have some realistic concerns about HIPAA and sharing proprietary information on safety issues. However, they are receptive to learning and sharing best practices. But where to start?
- Look for LinkedIn groups, for instance, the Institute for Healthcare Quality.
- Follow your own institution’s LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook accounts
- Follow specific hashtags on Twitter, such as, #ptsafety
- Look for videos related to quality issues – search on YouTube
- Join a tweetchat such as #hcsm (health care social media)
- Look for social media policies
- Follow e-Patient blog posts
- Consider entering the Voices of Quality Video Contest from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
I think there is real potential for healthcare quality professionals to share best practices on social media and begin to develop communities around issues like patient safety, risk management, and patient satisfaction.Share this: